2011 – Beat Your Meat Charity Hash –
June 9 – Date Change: June 23
orginally posted December 2009
Why SCH3 does Charity Hashes
I have been asked by a few why does SCH3 do charity events like this week’s Toys for Tots, and the Red Dress (Women’s Charity) and Beat Your Meat (Food Bank). This is a good question and one worthy of me putting down my morning beer to write up a little explanation.
The reason we started doing the charity hash events was based upon two reasons; affirmative defense and giving back to the community. Now I am not a lawyer, so I am sure I will be corrected, but basically affirmative defense is a new fact or set of facts that operates to defeat a claim even if the facts supporting that claim are true. How it is being applied by Surf City H3 is that eventually we are going to run afoul of the law for our various stupid acts, so by having a “record” of good deeds, we can at least put some positive spin on our activities. I have been told that being able to demonstrate that we (SCH3) are more than a bunch of drunks might be valuable when appearing in front of a powerful judge.
Reason #2 is simple, we are giving back to our community that allows SCH3 to be the half minds that we love being. The charities we pick are local Santa Cruz county charities that do good work. The community being the local citizens that put up with our flour and chalk. The community that puts up with our bad singing – yes I said it, we are not good singers! Maybe by us doing a little good, then we can do more half mind activity! Plus it is freaking good press.
So hopefully that helps explain our reasoning.
Banana Basher (GME SCH3)
For the record, we have done the following charity hashes:
- Hash #520 – May 6 – Red Dress (WomenCare) – We raised nearly $1K
- Hash #536 – Aug 12 – We raised over $2K for sick hashers (Piss ‘N Booths)
- Hash #533 – Dec 9 – Toys for Tots – Over 300 gifts was donated by Surf City H3 to Toys for Tots
- Hash #464 – May 7 – Red Dress (Women’s Charity)
- Hash #469 – June 11 – Beat Your Meat 10 – Food Drive Charity Hash
- Hash #498 – Dec 10 – Toys for Tots Charity Hash
- Hash #409 – May 1 – Red Dress (Women’s Charity)
- Hash #414 – June 5 – Beat Your Meat 9 – Food Drive Charity Hash
- Hash #442 – Dec 11 – Toys for Tots Charity Hash
- Hash #355 – May 3 – Red Dress (Women’s Charity)
- Hash #360 – June 7 – Beat Your Meat 8 – Food Drive Charity Hash
- Hash #387 – Dec 6 – Toys for Tots Charity Hash
- Hash #306 – June 8 – Beat Your Meat 7 – Food Drive Charity Hash
- Hash #333 – Dec 7 – Toys for Tots Charity Hash
- Hash #244 – April 14 – Tsunami Charity Hash
- Hash #254 – June 23 – Beat Your Meat 6 – Food Drive Charity Hash
- Hash #279 – December – Toys For Tots Hash Charity
- Hash #186 – March 25 – Blood Donation Charity Hash
- Hash #198 – June 10 – Beat Your Meat 5 – Food Drive Charity Hash
- Hash #224 – December 2 – Toys For Tots Hash Charity